We value engagement with our alumni and other volunteers who expand Sorensen’s impact through their good works and support. Look below for opportunities to offer your time and talents or tell your Sorensen story.
- If You Are a Program Alum
- Keep us up-to-date on your current contact information and job changes
- Let us know of positive impacts you are making your community that relate to your Sorensen experience
- Provide us with a testimonial about how your Sorensen experience has had a meaningful, positive impact
- Attend at least one Sorensen event each year
- Say something positive about Sorensen on social media
- Speak to a local group about Sorensen
- Even if You Are Not an Alum, You Can
- Sign up to receive Sorensen’s informational emails
- Follow Sorensen on social media
- Let us know of people you think would benefit from a Sorensen program and would add value to a program cohort
- Tell us about an example of people working across the partisan aisle to accomplish meaningful and positive outcomes
- Host a Sorensen local leadership committee in your area
- Host a Sorensen program recruitment reception
- Host a Sorensen home event/information session/fundraiser
- Help identify potential sponsors
Sorensen relies on individual and corporate donations as well as foundation grants to elevate trust, respect, civil discourse, ethics, and effective leadership.
- The Sorensen Annual Fund
The Sorensen Annual Fund is the lifeblood of the organization and bridges the gap between the true cost of delivering programs and what is received in program fees and endowment funding. The Annual Fund is a difference maker for our participants, builds an effective staff, and enhances the overall experiences we create in our programs. Donations to the Annual Fund provide flexibility to address a variety of current and emerging program needs. These needs include proactive recruitment of program participants, curriculum enhancements, scholarships, events, speaker recruitment and retention, new initiatives to expand community engagement, and measuring the impact of Sorensen programs in promoting values-based public service. To make these improvements, it will be important to build and establish a strong foundation of Annual Fund support.
- The Senator John W. Warner Endowed Scholarship Fund
The Sorensen Institute aspires to accept program participants in our various programs from high school through career professionals who demonstrate merit, passion, and civic-minded responsibility, regardless of their ability to pay our full program fees. We are only able to offer limited financial aid through our Annual Fund.
The Scholarship Fund allows Sorensen to offer additional aid to talented people with limited means to participate in our programs, thereby creating more opportunity for future generations of well-prepared public service leaders engaging in the complex challenges of the 21st Century. At its current level of about 25% of full funding, the Scholarship Fund will allow Sorensen to increase our financial aid by 50%. When fully funded ($1M), Sorensen will be able to offer nearly four times as much scholarship funding as we are currently able to offer.
Scholarships can create transformative opportunities for deserving participants from all areas of the Commonwealth, but particularly in areas of lower average incomes. This will allow program participants to develop their skill sets in preparation for public service, experience the responsibilities of leadership, and increase their understanding of how to serve their communities effectively. Scholarships and financial aid benefits help round out the perspectives of participants within programs by promoting engagement across income levels, regions, cultures, and political perspectives – thereby enhancing the overall learning experience, broadening networks, fostering more meaningful understanding of other perspectives, and preparing for work in increasingly diverse workplaces.
Ways to Give to Sorensen
Support the Sorensen Institute for Political Leadership by donating online here.
- Be a Corporate Sponsor
link will go here
- By Mail
Mail your check to:
University of Virginia | P.O. Box 37963 |
Boone, Iowa 50037
- By Phone
Call University Advancement Services at 434-924-7018.
- Additional Ways to Give
University Advancement makes it possible to give in various ways, including wire transfer, bank draft, payroll deduction and more. This form outlines additional options: Additional Ways to Give