Mary N. Mannix's Biography
Term ends 12/31/2025
Mary N. Mannix, FACHE, is president and CEO of Augusta Health, a 255-bed, independent, community-owned health system that opened in 1994 in Fishersville, Va. CEO since 2008, Ms. Mannix has partnered with the community-based board of directors, management, medical staff and employee workforce to enhance the commitment of the hospital’s not-for-profit mission to promote the health and well-being of its community through access to excellent care.
Nestled in the beautiful Shenandoah Valley, Augusta Health, the largest employer in the region, has approximately 2,300 employees and 225 physicians. More than 740,000 visits are served by outpatient and physician practice groups with 12,000 admissions annually. Under Ms. Mannix’s stewardship, Augusta Health has pursued its vision to be a national model for community based healthcare. Among many accolades, the hospital has been recognized as a Thomson Reuters 100 Top Hospitals, an Everest Award winner, a Healthgrades America’s 50 Best Hospitals Award winner, and has received a Leapfrog Patient Safety Grade of “A”. Augusta Health has also been a finalist for the American Hospital Association’s Foster McGaw Prize for its excellence in community service.
Ms. Mannix and the senior executive team have successfully repositioned Augusta Health from a hospital-centric model of care to a regional community health system that provides care across a seven-county area of western and central Virginia that includes a population base of over 300,000. Among her accomplishments at Augusta Health, Ms. Mannix:
- Developed and established an expanded model of clinical service capabilities in major service lines including oncology, cardiology, gastroenterology, pulmonary/critical care, thoracic surgery, infectious disease, urgent care and primary care.
- Developed a clinical affiliation with Duke Cancer Network in oncology, research, palliative care and infection control.
- Developed a network affiliation with the Mayo Clinic Care Network to support Augusta Health provider community and to provide second opinion.
- Developed a multispecialty employed physician group practice (non-stock subsidiary) of 250 providers across 35 practice sites to support expanded clinical services for the community.
- Developed a Medicare-approved ACO with 410 providers in a clinically integrated network that covers more than 8,400 lives.
- Utilized the COVID-19 pandemic to accelerate mission critical initiatives in the realm of population health and identification of health care disparities in the community.
Ms. Mannix earned her B.S. in nursing, as well as graduate degrees in nursing and business administration, from Binghamton University — the State University of New York. She completed a two-year post graduate fellowship in health care administration at the Guthrie Clinic located in Sayre, Pa. She is past chair of the Virginia Hospital and Healthcare Association’s board of directors. She served on the American Hospital Association Board of Trustees from 2020 until 2022 whereby she additionally chaired Regional Policy Board Region Three and is now a member of AHA Board Ad Hoc Workforce Task Force and the Committee on Rural Health Care. She is chair of the board of directors for Lifecore insurance captive. Ms. Mannix remains an active member of the Virginia Hospital and Healthcare Association board of directors. Ms. Mannix also served a six year term on the board of directors of the Virginia Center for Health Innovation, a public-private partnership to accelerate the adoption of value-driven models of wellness and health care. She is a member of the Influential Women of Virginia, Class of 2012. Ms. Mannix is a fellow in the American College of Healthcare Executives and is committed to both undergraduate and graduate education of physicians, nurses, allied health professionals, and her fellow health care executives.