Using and Understanding Population Data
Included in the resources section of our website are guides and tutorials that explain how to use population data, such as the American Community Survey; population maps, including an updated MSA map; links to Cooper Center population estimates and projections; and links to Census data. If you have questions about our data, please contact us.
- 2013 Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) Map of Virginia | developed by the Cooper Center
- Understanding and Using American Community Survey (ACS) Data | includes tutorials, guides and FAQs
- A Guide to Understanding Demographic and Workforce Data
- Understanding Data in the Context of State and Local Policymaking
- Age & Sex, Race & Hispanic, & Town Population Estimates
- American Community Survey Data on American Fact Finder | direct link to the Census Bureau's AFF
- Census Data | includes 2010, 2000 and historical data
- Virginia Cartographic Boundaries | Census TIGER/Line Shapefiles website
- Virginia Block-Level Population Data | Census Shapefile with 2010 Census Population Counts
- Virginia Population Estimates by County/City | developed by the Weldon Cooper Center
- Virginia Population Projections: The Weldon Cooper Center, under contract with the Virginia Employment Commission, has released its population projections for 2020, 2030 and 2040 for Virginia, its 134 localities and 22 Planning District Commissions, and total population projections for large towns.
- National and State Population Projections:The Weldon Cooper Center has also produced population projections for the nation and for all 50 states (and the District of Columbia). The projections detail changes between 2020 and 2040 in overall population and in subgroups by age, sex, race, and Hispanic origin.
Note: To cite material on the Demographics website, use this format:
Author name(s), Title. Date Published. Demographics Research Group, Weldon Cooper Center for Public Service, University of Virginia. Date accessed <www.coopercenter.org/demographics>.