Using and Understanding Population Data
Included in the resources section of our website are guides and tutorials that explain how to use population data, such as the American Community Survey; population maps, including an updated MSA map; links to Cooper Center population estimates and projections; and links to Census data. If you have questions about our data, please contact us.
The guide includes the sources of data, how often it is collected and for what years it is available, the geographic level of analysis (state, county, etc.), description of the data source, the variables included in the data, link to data release dates, and guides for understanding & using the data (when available).
Access the GUIDE or go directly to individual sources in the guide:
- Virginia Map by Cities and Counties | developed by the Cooper Center
- 2013 Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) Map of Virginia | developed by the Cooper Center
- Virginia Planning District Commissions (PDCs) Map | Virginia Association of Planning District Commissions
- Virginia Cartographic Boundaries | Census TIGER/Line Shapefiles website
- Virginia Block-Level Population Data | Census Shapefile with 2010 Census Population Counts
Note: To cite material on the Demographics website, use this format:
Author name(s), Title. Date Published. Demographics Research Group, Weldon Cooper Center for Public Service, University of Virginia. Date accessed <www.coopercenter.org/demographics>.